Luso Canadian Charitable Society – IC Savings Rooftop Terrace
LCCS is a registered charity that has been serving adults living with developmental and/or physical disabilities, as well as their families and caregivers, since 2002.
Through Fundo de Apoio IC Savings, the 4,500 square-foot rooftop at Luso Support Centre Peel was transformed into the IC Savings Rooftop Terrace, a spacious and tranquil area created for the centre’s clients, their families, caregivers and program staff.
This was the first project to be sponsored through our credit union’s community support fund, which launched in September 2017. The grant created an accessible and safe outdoor environment, designed for socializing, physical activity and enjoying the simple pleasure of being outdoors with friends and family.
After resurfacing the entire roof and installing decking throughout, the rooftop terrace offers:
- Decorative planters, walkways and shaded seating areas.
- Beds of fresh herbs and garden vegetables for use in the life skills cooking program.
- Flowers maintained by clients, providing them the therapeutic benefits of physical exercise and a serene environment for socializing.
- A custom-made, wheelchair-accessible picnic table as well as raised planting beds.
- A covered BBQ area and a gazebo.
Learn more about this organization and its good work at http://lusoccs.org/.